Wednesday, June 10, 2009

week one follow up

This week has been so crazy busy. We did a pretty good job almost finishing off all the vegetables from our robust share ourselves. We still have one head of lettuce, chard, tons of garlic scape and some chives, oregano and basil. Unfortunately, I didn’t have any time to take pictures of what we were cooking. This blog thing is new to me and I hope to do better in the future.

Here is how the week went down.

Wednesday: we picked up the veggies and J made Portuguese Kale soup while I was at Yoga. I came home to the best meal. I had made homemade beef broth with soup bones that I got from Mount Vernon Farm the weekend before. J used this and some andouille sausage from “Let’s Meat on the Avenue.” We will probably make this again this week and I will try to take pictures and post the recipe.

Thursday: we made a huge salad with roasted beets that I had leftover from the farmers market and honey goat cheese from Cheestique. Check out the recipe we used from the food network. We made it without the avocado and used mixed baby greens instead of arugula.

Friday: we went out to Los Tios with friends.

Saturday: we made a huge stirfry with baby bok choy and cabbage from the CSA and asparagus and broccoli from the farmers market.

Sunday: whenever we get endive, chicory, escarole or frisee we like to make pasta with sausage. Basically, you cook ½ to 1 lb. hot sausage without the casing until cooked through and put aside, then sauté a chopped onion. In the meantime you should be cooking up some pasta. Once the onion is cooked add chopped escarole or one of the other above mentioned greens to the onions to wilt. Put the sausage back in the pan, add the cooked pasta and mix in some pecorino or parmesan cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Monday: we made a greek salad and grilled up some chicken. I used a bunch of the fresh oregano and chives in the dressing and marinade.

Tuesday: we should have finished up what was left in the fridge. But, the thunderstorms and a long day at work called for some take out. Some vegetable noodle soup from our favorite Vietnamese place, Nam Viet in Clarendon, hit the spot.

The basil I got last week is still fresh and sitting in a small glass of water. I still have a ton of the garlic curls. I plan on using both to make some pesto and freeze it. I found an interesting recipe for oregano pesto that I would like to try. But, if I don’t have time to make it, I will hang the oregano up to dry. I am already feeling like the robust share we ordered is a little more than we can chew. But, we are going to do our best. Please share your CSA and farmers market adventures.

2 comments:

Sarah O. said...

Woohoo! We got a shout out as "friends!" I'm sorry I didn't help you cook locally but you dining out locally is good too.

I will be a patron to your site, all in hopes that one day you'll put up the Thai corn dip recipe!

Eliza Beth : ) said...

We made the sausage, onion, curly endive tonight. It was pretty good - James liked it because it had sausage! I didn't get the hot italian but substituted some turkey andouillle sausage that I had in the fridge. Thanks for sharing the recipe!