Monday, June 15, 2009

Drinking Locally

Two weeks ago, I noticed that Toigo Orchards (Shippensburg, Pennsylvania) was selling bloody mary mix at their booth at the Del Ray farmer's market - Birth of Pain - so I bought a bottle (it was 6 bucks at the market, or 2 for 10.) I wish I had bought 2 (or more) because when I went back specifically to buy more this past saturday, they didn't have any with them. They make it with heirloom tomatoes, other fresh vegetables and spicy scotch bonnet peppers. The website says it is out of stock, so we are hoping that once tomato season fully hits its stride, they will be cranking out more of this delicous mixer so we can stock up. It was especially good when we garnished it with "Dilly Beans" from another booth at the farmer's market (I can't remember the name of the farm but they sold pickled string beans and other jarred products as well as free-range eggs, cheese, etc. - I'll get the name this coming saturday.)

So if you like spicy and tasty bloody mary mix, keep an eye out for Toigo Orchards' Birth of Pain.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here is a vodka made in Richmond, Virginia!

http://www.cirrusvodka.com/home.html

and a good piece on small distilleries around the state

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/06/small-distilleries-are-bubbling-virginia